Monday, November 23, 2015

Christmases past

                                         Image result for german santa claus

So, here is a continuation of my Christmas musings...

Growing up in my military, Christian home, Mom was German and we celebrated a few Christmases in Germany. I have a very vivid memory, a very strong memory, when I was in primary school. I remember getting all wrapped up in my warmest clothes, traveled by school bus to downtown Wurzburg, and, with money that my parents had given me (it felt like hundreds of dollars even though it was probably only about fifteen marks) walked with my class and looked with awe and wonder at the beautiful kiosks that were set up in the German town I lived in. This was Christkindlemarkt! I get the shivers just closing my eyes and recalling that special time.

Kids, no matter from what country, usually believe in Santa Claus. The name of the man might change, but the conjured images are similar. I was no exception, There was a specific time when I lived in Washington state where I had a very close encounter with Santa. I KNOW I heard him stomping his boots down the hallway to the living room. We didn't have a chimney so he HAD to come through the door. I guess he knew that we were German and celebrated Christmas Eve. It probably saved him time to get to all the non-Germans overnight.

When I got to be an adult I was bombarded, by someone close to me, that I should NOT introduce my children to a fictitious character. That I shouldn't lie to my children. Well, I must say that I regret listening to that person. Had I known then what I know now, I would want my children to have the wonderment of listening for Santa's reindeer on the roof, and wondering, as I did, how Santa knew where I lived and how he was going to get to my tree without a fireplace. I think that I robbed my children and myself of a sense of fun and magic.

I like reading about different cultures and their beliefs and traditions about Santa. Most European countries have their own version of a jolly man or a kind and gentle man who came to houses delivering gifts of some kind to the children, and sometimes the adults. The legend has a wonderfully generous beginning and it amazes me that it has survived for so long.

To this day I love watching movies about Santa Claus. He brings hope to young children, who might otherwise not have it. I think about "Miracle on 34th Street" and to this day I cry inside for a little girl who refuses to see the magic because her mother trained her NOT to believe. 

Can I just throw in a little Christianity here? I KNOW that God is not a genie in a bottle, I would NEVER condone such beliefs. However, if an parent brings their child up never giving them the idea that God can and does answer prayer, that He does hear us when we pray, then what is that parent really teaching his child? A child must see his/her parent praying and they must be aware of answers to prayers.

Let's go back to Santa, shall we? Is it harmful for a parent to allow their child to believe in Santa? Do I REALLY think that a child, at the age of eighteen, will still believe in a jolly man who squeezes down chimney? Seriously? Of course not. So what is the harm in allowing a child to experience the joy and 'magic' of the holidays? Let the kids believe in Santa. I wish that more adults held to the idea of joy and 'magic' during the holidays. This world would be a nicer place.

So, for now......

I will continue to watch "the Santa Clause", "Elf", "Miracle on 34th Street," and the like, because I want the magic and fun of Christmas. BUT it doesn't replace or come before the adoration I have for my Lord who came to earth as a baby, grew to be Christ, died, rose, and now reigns in Heaven FOR ME! 

I just want to keep in mind that Jesus is present all year around and Santa is my hero for a few weeks in December.

Petra

2 comments:

  1. Well put. I feel the same way. By the way, you listed three of my favorite Christmas movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds thinking alike...LOL

    ReplyDelete