Monday, January 11, 2016

Taking the time

                                    Image result for family around the dining table

I have a confession to make. I watch a LOT of HGTV. I am not sure why, since it is not likely that I will be owning a house of my own any time soon, so I will not be remodeling. I won't need a realtor. But, watching the endless hours of decorating and house tours keeps me entertained. It also give me some insight into the world in which we all live.

The topic I want to discuss today is "dining." Yes, the beloved dining room - an endless subject of "Is the dining room necessary in today's society. Now, I realize that many of you couldn't care less about this subject, but I ask you to bear with me.  I truly have an interesting point here. 

Have you been to any other countries around the world? I have been to a few, and I must say, Americans are very spoiled when it comes to space. I find it laughable when, on some of the home searches in other countries, couples cannot grasp the concept that others value every inch of space, while Americans tend to take it for granted. Americans want a kitchen (large enough to host a baseball team and their family), a dining room (in order facilitate the masses of friends that come to dinner) and a living room. Some even want a game room IN ADDITION to all aforementioned. Why? I think it is because "space" equals "status" in the minds of many. I mean, seriously, who needs a family room AND a living room for a family of four? And why? So the family can be split up more often? Hmmm.....I think I have just made my first point.

Time....My theory is that the more "space" a family has under their roof, the less time they actually spend together AS A FAMILY. Sure, the "ideal" is to come together for mealtime, but how often does that actually happen?

Let me paint a picture for you. I spent many years as a child in Germany. The house that my mother grew up in had a total of four rooms and an attic space. (Notice I didn't say four bedrooms...) And there was a total of twelve children! They never saw that their house was too small. My "Opa and Oma" worked around the situation and made it work. There was one room in which to dine and sit in, and it was quite comfortable. Why? Because first of all, Germans are industrious people and you won't find them lounging around on a sofa all day watching television. (Not in those days anyway.) Secondly, the dining room table was the "heart" of the home. Should a guest come to visit, they sat at the table and fellowshipped over a cup of coffee and possibly a pastry. The focus was the fellowship and NOT the size of the room. 

Actually, I want to clarify here, lest someone reading sharply correct me. At the time, and I am sure there are still these tables available, they had a table which could be raised and lowered. (Similar to this, only done manually and not electrically.)

                                    Image result for ikea dining tables that could be lowered

This allows for the homeowner to have the option of having a coffee table or dining table, depending on the day. So some actually incorporated a sofa into their dining space.

A few years ago, I went to Germany to visit my family and I was treated like a princess. I felt so very special in each home I went to. And guess where I spent the majority of the time visiting and catching up after thirty years? The couch in the living room? NO. At the dining table, seated in a very comfortable chair. Ahh....those were some sweet times. I recently was sent a picture of my cousin's new dining set. It looked similar to this:

                                        Image result for german dining room tables

Although there were more chairs and the table wasn't as modern, you get the point, right? The chairs are comfortable. Why? Because so much time is spent sitting on them, whether spending time with the family and friends, eating a meal together, or even playing games. This ONE room takes the place, in many European homes, of the living room, family room and breakfast nook. Is it any wonder? I mean the space they have to work with DEMANDS it. I recall endless hours, as a child, playing games with my friends in Germany - at the table. Homework was done - at the table. Family talks and socialization was done - at the table. 

Lately, in my own little family of three, in a very "cramped" kitchen, we have been spending more time getting to know each other. The chairs are not comfortable, so I grab a pillow from the sofa. I have left the table leaf in to accommodate the three of us working on varied projects. I might be planning a menu or writing. Hubby might be filling out paperwork or paying bills. Son might be doodling, or (shock) doing homework, but we are all together around the table. Yes, of course, we eat at the table as well, but I have come to realize that it doesn't make any difference how small my home is, I can still have all of the "luxuries" of that palatial-sized home some families drool over in those shows on HGTV. I may not have a den, or a game room, but we play games. I may not have a a separate room for the kids, but I am trying to get to know my new son, so why have him be away from me? I may not have the largest kitchen with an island and seating for four around it while I cook, but I have plenty of space at my table. 

So, if you want to spend some time with me, come on over. Don't expect a large space, and don't expect a pristine home. I have a life. But you are certainly welcome to a cup of coffee and sweet fellowship, and possible a "treat" if I have them around. I'll just pull up a chair, and a throw pillow and we will talk for hours! (If there are a lot of you, you might have to BYOChair.) Let's take the time, and perhaps make the time, to be together.

Until next time,

Petra

1 comment: