Monday, January 25, 2016

Art for One

                                      Image result for painting

Just a little while ago I read an article by a blogger whom I have been following. He spoke about criticism and how we need to not shirk reading critical remarks, but try to learn something. But the work that resonated with me was "creatives." Should "creatives" listen to criticism. Of course, I expected him to say exactly what he did, in his unique way. And that was that yes, we would listen to others' opinions in order to perfect our craft.

I commented on that particular blog, and now, after thinking about it, I think I would add more. I basically said that I didn't agree. That creatives should not listen to others WHILE they are creating. Criticism should not be heeded until the editing phase of a writer's life. And while I still believe that, I am wondering if that is completely accurate.

Let's examine first the idea of a creative person. There are all forms of creativity. Allow me to use the artist. A painter will paint on a canvas which is set before him. He will pour his heart out on to that canvas. Will he "allow" anyone to come and interfere with his creative process? Will he listen to someone say, "I think I would prefer a brunette in the picture instead of a redhead"?  Will he allow someone to say, "I believe you should use a larger brush or make smaller strokes"? Of course not. That would be pretty silly, wouldn't it? He will paint several canvases and place them in some kind of gallery, and if there be someone who doesn't care for his work, they will simply not purchase any of the work. Or they may whisper to their neighbor during a viewing, "I really don't care for that piece." Will the painter then say to himself, "There have been ten people who did not like my work. I believe I will take that painting from the gallery and "tweak it"? I just cannot fathom that scenario. Because that painter had a vision in his mind of what he wanted and it now hangs on the gallery wall. There may or may not be many people who like it, but all it takes is that one person to "see" what the artist did, and purchase the piece. This in and of itself is the appreciation and validation the artist needs.

And I can think of several other types of art forms - the sculptor, the glassmaker, the quilter, the jewelry maker - and know that in each case the artist has an idea and he/she does everything he/she can to bring that mental visualization to fruition.

Then there is the matter of the "One" for whom the artist works. If the audience is a particular group of people, then there will ALWAYS be ONE person that will not care for the work. There will always be one critic in the bunch. Like my momma always told me, :You can please some of the people some some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time." True story!

No here is my issue. IF my audience is God, and IF my creative art form is writing, then WHY do I need to listen to those who criticize my work. Even if I do decide to sell my work at some point, it still shouldn't influence they WAY in which I create, Should it?

I need to get back to the beginning. I am a writer. I write what is on my heart. I write what the Lord wants me to write. I am writing for ONE. I love the fact that they Lord has blessed me with the creativity of writing. Should I refuse to "become better in my craft?" Certainly not! But I choose to listen to the One who commissioned my work from the beginning, His is the only opinion that should matter. And if He doesn't lay on my heart and mind the way He deems it to become better, then I need to plow ahead and not worry about those who don't care for my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment