Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Recovery - Part One

I am in recovery. Yes, and I am not doing as well I was hoping I would. For those of you that I have not talked to about this, let me backtrack a little and fill you in on what has been going on in my life for the last month or so.

A little over 3 months ago I had gone in to the free clinic and discussed some "female issues" with the RN. She talked to me and gave me some prescriptions ordered by the over-seeing doctor. Nothing more was said or done. I still experienced problems and called the receptionist back. I just unloaded on her that I really wanted to speak with a doctor about the feasibility of having a hysterectomy. Well, she was sympathetic but told me that the likelihood of my speaking to their resident GYN in the next three or four months was not good. My balloon was deflated and I was determined that the Lord just didn't want this for me. About a month ago I received a call from that same receptionist who told me that the GYN was going to be in the office the following week and wanted to consult with me. I was elated and nervous all at the same time. This was happening very quickly. I made arrangements to meet with the doctor and by the end of the consultation I had my surgery scheduled for the following month. The next few days was filled with excitement as I began preparing for the time I was going to be home and the recovery period. Then, while I was at work, I received yet another call saying that the surgery had been moved up and it would actually be the following week. I now began to panic. There was much to do and little time in which they were to be done. 

There was another aspect of this whole process that really stressed me. And that was the emotional side. Up until the very morning of the surgery I was still questioning whether or not I was making the right decision. I mean, this "season" in life was going to end in a few years anyway, right? There are so many women out there with terrible issues, and I felt inadequate to be having this done and they were being so brave and battling through the same issues I was complaining about. Was I being a big baby about the actual symptoms I was experiencing? At every turn I was getting encouragement from husband, family and close friends. 

So, with a little apprehension left, I pressed forward. I made arrangements at home and at work to be out of commission for a little over two weeks. I was receiving words of blessing and prayers for a quick recovery. The preparation for the surgery the day before was THE WORST! I was in such agony, but I made it through. (I would share details, but that is TMI) After too little sleep and a growling stomach, we were on our way to the hospital. 

While laying in a warming paper gown on an uncomfortable gurney, a too-tired husband at my side, I was prepped by a nurse. The anesthesiologist came to consult with me. The doctor stepped in to give me a  few words about the procedure, reminding me that I wouldn't remember what he would tell me after the surgery. After making sure I had no further questions, I was administered anesthesia and quickly taken to the ER. (I think they wanted to get me there before I fell completely asleep so that they could get me to scoot my big behind on to the table for the procedure.)

More to come.......


Hoping to be a blessing to someone who reads this,

Petra

No comments:

Post a Comment